Synod’s Representative Payee Program provides financial management of Veterans, Social Security and SSI benefits on behalf of individuals who have difficulty using their payments to meet their basic needs.
A representative payee helps beneficiaries who need assistance in managing their benefits. A representative payee’s responsibilities include:
- Using benefits to pay for the current and foreseeable needs of the beneficiaries
- Appropriately saving any remaining benefits
- Keeping good records of how benefits were spent
How We Work
- In conjunction with the client and their supports, staff complete an assessment of the client’s needs, resources, goals and abilities.
- Based on anticipated expenses and the restrictions attending available resources, staff and client formulate a monthly budget ensuring that basic needs are paid from appropriate sources and supplemental needs prioritized.
- Staff pays bills monthly while personal spending checks may be issued more frequently depending on the client’s budget skills.
- Staff are available by telephone, appointment, or drop in.
- Staff makes account activity, registers, and other financial documents accessible and available upon request.